Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health' started by imtbtrails, Sep 10, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. M Chambon

M Chambon Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chambon
    Current Bike:
    Mugrienta
    Mostly agree, but is not like "you'll get to the point that you just don't need any at all" that would depend on the length of the ride. Intensity plays a big role as well, I can do a 5 hr ride with 2 bottles of water, now a 5 hr race is a different story. To train your body to become more efficient you need to be really aware of your HR zones; easy & long does the trick.
    Is an interesting journey, and there's usually a lot of bonking involved (I got plenty of those)

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    100% with this.

I haven't bonked a lot, though I have of course.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  4. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

I think that there are as many ideas of what is good food as there are coaches, and what they mean is not that important for other people than those who make a living out of winning.

For normal people a good health is more important as the coaches have as proved during a long time not bothered to look at the long term health of their clients, they look at the short time profit for the owners of the team. Not just with doping.

When I said sugar I meant sugar from factories, refined and treated in order to make it taste like wanted instead of being natural. Sugar from fruits is just perfect for giving you energy. Bananas are so rich in sugar that you only need a few to get a lot of energy. I do not eat or drink food with synthetic sweeteners as I consider that poison. Unless you are diabetic fruit sugar is just great.

When it comes to fat avocados and olives are excellent sources as are a lot of fish.

I have 3 meals a day and eat until I am no longer hungry, not till I am full. Mostly Vegetables, fruit, fish, some cheese, yoghurt. Bodybuilders have protein powder of more or less unhealthy origin; if you want to build muscle mass get the protein from natural sources. The most delicious for me is skyr, 100 – 200 gram before a half long ride and if really hungry again after the ride. It is not good for people that do not have hard work or do sport to eat a lot of skyr.

When I have a piece of chocolate it is with at least 80% cocoa powder in it. My BMI is around 20 and when some think that is low they do not know that in China and Japan it would be considered high. As long as the BMI is just a little above 20 there is enough fat in the body to work hard a whole day without sugar. For some it feel hard especially in the beginning, they say they run “sugar cold” and then have a coke and energy bar that immediately stop the burning of body-fat that has just started. Only people with BMI below 20 and people with diabetes have that as a real problem.

No alcohol and no tobacco. Boring life? For some, sure. In a world where more and more people get obese and for that reason often die far too young especially if the overweight is combined with unhealthy life styles I am living a boring life. That is my choice. Everybody should do what they find best.

It all comes down to doing a bit of calculating. If the intake of calories are larger than the body is burning due to the level of activity there will be more weight on the scale.

Sorry for the long post.

Old&InTheWay, HBkites, Redman and 4 others like this.
  5. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

Natural sugar from fruit and vegetables are healthy. What comes out from factories and what is put in soft drinks is poison. Look at the number of obese that are soon to be called normal as there will soon be most of them.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  6. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

I do not know what you mean with endurance, I have crossed the island several times and in order to do that you get from sea-level to sea-level with 2 little mountains one close to 200o meter above and the other exactly 2000 meter above sea-level plus a number of smaller up and down tours. Most days I burn 1500 to 2000 calories according to my Garmin Edge 1000.
    2000 meter is close to 6561 feet 8 5⁄32 inches or 6 561.67979 according to http://www.theunitconverter.com/meters-to-feet-conversion/2000-meters-to-feet.html

Mikie, mike and Danmtchl like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Did he qualify?

(Sure the post is three years old, but I just gotta know!)

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Actually, thanks for the long post! It's good information.

One thing I'd be wary of though is the BMI index. Created in 1832 when people were smaller and is often misleading concerning present-day athletes. For example, a fit guy who works out at the gym and has very low visible fat can measure over 30. I'm no doubt preaching to the choir, but a hydrostatic body fat test is the way to go.

That and results, and yours show you're definitely on the right track.

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    He is on the far right :)

alex_olympic_trials.jpg

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 6 others like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Endurance: A situation where duration and/or intensity of activity depletes the body. Big "day" rides such as you mention could certainly qualify. But endurance to me includes two-hour blasts through multi-day activity up to weeks long. I don't see an intentional fat-burning strategy working at all for bikepacking, grade 6 climbs and other multi-day affairs. If it works for someone, go for it, but putting that strategy out there like it's something everyone should be doing because every body contains fat is questionable at best.

Danmtchl, Mikie, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Pfffft. It is well-known that nothing compares to rhubarb for a Marie Callender's pie!!

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    • "Fattening food" is a tabloid-style misnomer. Lifestyle and activity choices can be fattening. Foods themselves are not.
    • Avocado contains trace amounts of lipid, meaning they are not an excellent source of fat.

When I read these kinds of well-worn nutritional fallacies, I pretty much write off the source.

Danmtchl, Mikie, kioti and 3 others like this.
  13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    BMI is great for it's intended purpose...to track averages. That's it. People put way too much stock in it. I could care less about my BMI, I only care about my BF% and body weight. But when you are comparing large groups of people, say LA county compared to Riverside county, BMI works just fine.

BMI can be used as an indicator of your health if you are overweight. Back when my BMI was in "Obese" territory, I really was in obese territory.

+1

I think I might just have to add you to my block list!

You are referring to depleting glycogen stores. That is where you should be using fat as fuel. If you are depleting glycogen, you are pushing too hard. The human body can store roughly 1000-2000kcal worth of glycogen, then you start eating up body proteins for fuel and that is when things go to Sh!t. At lower intensities you can burn fat as fuel by staying aerobic. Soon as you go anaerobic, everything changes.

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  14. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

I do not know what you mean with endurance, I have crossed the island several times and in order to do that our get from sea-level to sea-level with 2 little mountains one close to 200o meter above and the other exactly 2000 meter above sea-level. Most days I burn 1500 to 2000 calories according to my Garmin Edge 1000.
    2000 meter is close to 6561 feet 8 5⁄32 inches or 6 561.67979 according to http://www.theunitconverter.com/meters-to-feet-conversion/2000-meters-to-feet.html

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hah, easy for a guy who fasts before and during rides to say. I'd say you're not eating enough. :cool: I try to never use fat as fuel. It's not readily available like carbs are, and it signifies the beginning of the death slide for me on long outings.

I'm out of this thread, guys. Cheers...

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Chicken Nugget @mike has left the building...

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I don't prefer to tell people who to fuel, just gie recommendations based on research and personal experience. What works for me might not work for you. But you won't know what won't work if you don't try.

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and Mikie like this.
  18. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I with Dion, Chicken finger diet moved me from slomosapien to LLPOOLJ. Just saying.

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I thought that was Wienerschnitzel?

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Mini corn dogs are a commensurate substitute for chicken nuggets.
    IMG_3849.JPG

Danmtchl, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Agreed

Danmtchl, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  22. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

I never heard of any place where I can be immersed in water and that way find out how much is fat and how much is not; also what about the content of air in our lungs? Maybe there is a smart way to get around that.
    Here most say that 25 is normal, 30 is fat, 35 and above is obese and higher or much higher than that will often have a lot of health problems with it. In some other countries (China and Japan) 20 is seen as normal (exept maybe for sumo wrestlers :) ).

Danmtchl, Mikie and kioti like this.
  23. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    That's the only accurate way to do a BF% test. That is the gold standard. I am surprised you have never heard of that.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  24. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

And the air in the lungs? Lighter than water? 1 liter is 1 kilo, content of lungs differ with size of person. And 4 degrees Celsius is pretty cold to get into.

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Tomorrow is ride day, and my first try at Tailwind. Picked these up on the way home (sorta on the way) from work. They only had 5 of the naked so I got a lemon to round it out to 6. We shall see...

20170921_205702.jpg

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 7 others like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Results:

I did 65 miles and 8,700 feet today on 5 of the above packets. 2 in one 20-oz bottle for the climb over GMR to Camp Williams; one in the bottle from Camp Williams to the Crystal Lake turnoff; 2 in the bottle back at Camp Williams to power up the back side of GMR and back to the car.

This stuff WORKS!!! No cramps, no gut bombs, no sticky spit stuck to the ends of the mustache. 1st Endurance was okay - this stuff stomps on it. I did have to remind myself to drink regularly.

Yes, my legs are toast, but only the muscles because I went on a bigger ride. Energy levels were good throughout the ride.

I'm sold. And I really like these 200 calorie packets. Easy to carry and use.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Luis and 7 others like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    HA!!!!! you finally saw the light. :thumbsup:

The individual packets are convenient, but pricey. Just buy the 50 serving bag and a box of 100 snack ziploc baggies and make yer own.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Luis and 7 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Wow... It even sounds like you were able to adjust the dose on the fly! :thumbsup:

Like J says, it's pretty easy to mix up a couple little baggies ahead of time. I sometimes buy the sample pack on Amazon, which is 1 of each flavor. That's in addition to a big bag. That lets me mix it up here and there...

Danmtchl, Mikie, kioti and 5 others like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The major reasons I used this ride as the Tailwind test are 1) it's a big ride, 2) I know exactly how far apart the water sources are and 3) I had run out of 1st Endurance. :whistling:

I really liked the naked - no aftertaste. The one lemon I mixed in with one naked was too sweet and cloying for me. It probably helped that it never broke 70 degrees so I had cool water the whole ride.

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So you mixed 2 packets in 1 bottle? 20 oz or 24 oz?

If you mixed 2 packets in 1 bottle, then yeah they are on the sweet side. If you mixed 2 packets into 1 20 oz bottle, then yeah they would be really sweet...that is a really concentrated dose.

I find mixing 1 scoop of Naked with any of the flavors dulls them down a little bit.